Thursday, July 22, 2010

to run, or not to run - that is the question.

I've never been a strong runner. In fact I've never even really been a runner. I get puffed after a minute or two on the treadmill, and even though I can generally handle other cardio activity for a reasonable length of time, running and myself just don't gel.

I have been reading many a fitness blog lately, and it seems most of the bloggers are actively into running. I'm talking marathons, half marathons, things that just seem out of my realm of possibility. I'd be excited with even a 5km run that I could do comfortably without feeling like I'm going to pass out or have my lungs spontaneously combust.

I did a bit of a search around the net, and found that there's a fun run in October this year in Castlemaine, which is about a half hour drive from here. Beautiful town, it's a 5km or 10km run (I'm thinking the 5km for a beginner is more up my alley! 10 seems like a BIG task). I am still unsure whether I should just bite the bullet and register - thus having something to work towards - or wait and see if I can get my fitness up to par & register maybe in September if I feel like I'm up to it?

Embarrassingly enough, I tried going for a run this morning, if you could call it that. I got around the block once and that was it. It's probably not more than 700 or 800 metres and I felt like I was going to pass out. Ahhh. Baby steps, baby steps. I think I need to read up on strategies on how to gradually improve running. Couch to 5k, anyone?

Have a good day!

2 comments:

  1. I am not a runner...at all! I've tried the c25k and it does work! Baby steps are the key. I've come to the realization that I will probably never be a runner, but I'm ok with that. :)

    Keep us posted on how you do in your new quest to be a runner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim! Thanks for the encouragement you left me on my blog yesterday about my 5K. I can very much relate to this! When I first started running, I could barely eked out a minute or 2. What I found though was that I was starting too fast. Its all about pace. I had a runner once tell me that once you find a pace that your body can handle, you can run miles and miles without that dying feeling! Yes, I strongly encourage Couch to 5K. I used it to get started (modified it some to fit my needs), but the concept of it works!

    ReplyDelete